Saturday, February 4, 2012

What My Children Are Reading

I finally made it back to the library this week. I took C before his piano lesson, and we got several books despite the quick trip. He also had media this week for a special at school, so he got a couple new books from the school library. Here are some of the favorites this week.

C read Sideways Stories from Wayside School by Louis Sacher. His teacher is reading this series at school, so he wanted to read one on his own. Actually, now he wants to read the series. They're all very silly stories that take place in Wayside School, which was accidentally built vertically, with each of the 30 classrooms stacked on top of each other. There are 30 chapters to correspond to the 30 stories.C's favorite part is that the builder left out the 19th story, so in the book, the 19th chapter is just a couple sentences long saying, basically, that there's no 19th story. I have to say he's piqued my interest and I think I may have to read this one myself!

The other book he got from his school library is Out from Boneville, the first in the Bone series by Jeff Smith. This is a series I've heard a lot about, but I honestly thought it would scare him. Evidently not. He loved it and couldn't stop telling us about it. But I will say that a lot of the plot went over his head. He just loved all the action and silly things that happened. It's a graphic novel so I'm sure he got a lot more out of the pictures than the words, since it's a pretty high level book (grade level 4.9 according to Scholastic). It's about three cousins who are sent out of Boneville and the adventures they have. I'm sure he'll be reading the rest of this series too.

M was able to read Biscuit's New Trick by Alyssa Satin Capucilli, which we have at home, so I picked up a couple new Biscuit books for her: Biscuit's Day at the Farm and Biscuit's Big Friend. I have to say that these Biscuit books are "just-right books" for M right now. She can read them with just about no help (she had a hard time with the word "wants" in one of them) and she understands what's happening in the plot. She also loves the stories and all the animals that are in them. We will definitely be working our way through all the Biscuit books over the coming weeks!

Finally, I'll share one of the books I read to M. It's an older book but I just heard about it recently while reading a blog, and I feel terrible saying I could not remember which blog! So if it was you, please let me know! Anyway, the book is When I Was Little: A Four-Year-Old's Memoir of Her Youth by Jamie Lee Curtis. It's an adorable picture book written from the perspective of a 4 year old girl, who talks about what she was like as a baby compared to what she can do now. The pictures are fun and the little girl is very cute. We both really enjoyed this one.

What have you been reading with your children this week? Hop on over to Mouse Grows Mouse Learns to share! And check out Book Sharing Monday too!

6 comments:

  1. My daughter LOVED "When I Was Little". It was one of the books I enjoyed reading most to her. Makes me really miss those days when she was smaller....she's 14 now. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I thought it was adorable! I'm surprised I had never read it before.

      Delete
  2. The Wayside school Series were always very popular with my students. I actually always loved when we got into those books too because I love them. They are VERY clever and actually very funny, even to adults. You have to read them!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm sure that's why his teacher is reading them aloud. She seemed to be enjoying it when I was in the classroom last week during reading time.

      Delete
  3. I just heard of Wayside School the other day, so now that you mention it, too, I will have to check some out for my son.

    ReplyDelete